Friday, February 12, 2010

White Sox Retire Frank Thomas' #35

Frank Thomas' Proud, Honored that White Sox will Retire his Number.



The White Sox said Friday they will retire Frank Thomas' No. 35, as their former slugger officially announced his retirement at U. S. Cellular Field.Thomas' uniform number will be retired during an on-field ceremony on "Frank Thomas Day," Aug. 29, when the team hosts the New York Yankees at 1:05 p.m.

"I'm very, very proud and honored," Thomas said of having his number retired. "If it was up to me, I would have played every year of my career here in Chicago. But I understand pro sports, and as guys get older, guys move around. But this is where I've always wanted to be, and to have my number retired here, it's a huge honor."

Thomas, who last played for the White Sox in 2005 before finishing in Toronto and Oakland with 521 career home runs, didn't play last season. At age 41, he said he realizes his retirement announcement has been "a long time coming.""I had to get baseball out of my system before I made this announcement," Thomas said."I'm at peace with it. I had one heck of a career, proud of it. It's been one hell of a ride."

Thomas' No. 35 becomes the 10th uniform number to be retired by the White Sox, joining No. 2 (Nellie Fox), No. 3 (Harold Baines), No. 4 (Luke Appling), No. 9 (Minnie Minoso), No. 11 (Luis Aparicio, currently un-retired for the 2010 season), No. 16 (Ted Lyons), No. 19 (Billy Pierce), No. 42 (Jackie Robinson) and No. 72 (Carlton Fisk)."
Everyone who enjoyed watching Frank Thomas perform during his outstanding career with the White Sox quickly realized we were watching one of the greatest offensive players of all-time, a player destined to re-write our club's record books," Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said in a statement. "When your career comes to an end and your body of work is compared to Hall of Famers like Mel Ott, Babe Ruth and Ted Williams, you truly rank among baseball royalty."I believe it is only a matter of time until Frank receives the game's greatest honor in Cooperstown and he unquestionably deserves the honor of being recognized among the elite White Sox players in this franchise's history by having his No. 35 retired."
No one will ever play the game the way Thomas played it.. I grew up watching Frank and he will FOREVER be a huge part of my life and my love for baseball. I respect this man so much and am so happy that the Sox are retiring his number. I can't wait til 2014 when he gets inducted into the Hall of Fame- no one deserves it more! I'm so glad I got to see such an amazing player steroid-free in an era when finding untainted players is so hard. Thank you so much for the great memories and for turning me into such a big baseball fan, Frank!

No comments:

Post a Comment